Pages

    Tuesday, August 25, 2009

    Cursing In The Dressing Room

    "Clean shirt, new shoes
    And I dont know where I am goin to.
    Silk suit, black tie,
    I dont need a reason why.
    They come runnin just as fast as they can
    Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man."

    — ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man


    "Fuck. FUCK. FUUUUUUUUCK."

    I hear the Dressing Room Lady outside the door.

    "Everything okay in there?"

    I sigh.

    "No... Yes."

    This is the third pair of pants I have tried on, and the fourth or fifth shirt.

    It's right at Six O'Clock and the place closest to here that cuts hair on Mondays (because strangely most barber shops here are closed on Mondays) closes at 8 O'Clock.

    I still have to shave this beard off.

    I don't have shoes that will go with whatever I end up buying that I am currently trying on in this stupid dressing room at this stupid store that doesn't make freakin' clothes that actually fit my...I'm guessing, totally freakish and awkwardly built body.

    Sorry, I've gone and got a little ahead of myself. I'm in the middle of the PRE-INTERVIEW JITTERS.

    I don't wear what I call "dress-up clothes." I appreciate the whole Mad Men aesthetic of tailored suits and bespoke shirts, but I can't put it any more clearly that my ideal mode of dress is a t-shirt of some sort along with blue jeans or shorts. Original, I know, but it let's me put absolutely zero thought into what I'm wearing so that I can focus on what I'm doing.

    Anyway, today I care. I'm trying on dress shirts.

    I am attempting to find a proper pair of fucking khakis.

    After nearly giving myself an anxiety ridden panic attack trying to find clothes for what, in my head, will essentially be a quick trip to a footstool covered in thumbtacks in front of a What's Your Line panel of people who hate me upon sight, I finally settle on a pair of proper light brown pants and a white and blue checked button-up.

    I can't pay for it quick enough. My wife wanted to look at some things in the ladies section of the store but my interview is first thing in the morning and I have to get my hair cut so I am freaking. My stomach is in knots.

    The kid checking us out has to call his manager because I have a coupon. Of course I have a coupon. Of course it doesn't work.

    The manager takes care of it. I pay. We are going towards the car. "Don't run off on me!" my wife says. I look back and she's five feet behind me. I am unaware I have ran off towards the car in a power-walking sprint (of which, in the spirit of transparency, I am accused of often. What? I'm tall.) and have a mission. HAIR CUT.

    Ten minutes later we're at the barber shop. I go inside and the girl at the counter asks me for my phone number. The last four digits. I give her what I think I gave them last time (I've changed numbers a few times for various reasons) and it pulls up nothing. I give another number, and it's the wrong name.

    "That's not me." I say.

    "Well who are you?" She says.

    "Well...I'm me."

    "What's your phone number?"

    "Can't you just make a new person on there with my new number?"

    "No, I don't want to. What's your phone number?"

    At this point I want to scream "I hate you and I just want a motherfucking haircut, bitch." but instead of that I give her my full name and she pulls up a number I didn't even think about as my phone number.

    I still am not really sure why I even have to give a phone number to give a haircut, but whatever.

    A few minutes later I'm in the chair.

    A few minutes after that I'm out the door with a lighter wallet and am off to Wal-Mart.

    I point out that "That's a lot of gray hair on the floor."

    The lady who cut my hair says "Everyone says that."

    It was a lot of gray.


    After Wal-Mart, my wife tells me it's all going to be okay. She's said this several times tonight but I am less than half a day from the thing I hate most. Being judged on who I am, in tiny cereal box form where they just see the cover and maybe read the ingredients, but don't really know what I am, or what I can do, or if I'm even crunchy in milk.

    It will be okay, she says. I want to trust her.

    We get home, and groceries are put away. Everything in it's right place. Food in the fridge and the pantry. Toiletries to the bathroom and all that. New clothes off the hangers and all put in their final resting place.

    On me.

    I actually look okay.

    My wife tells me to come out and she sees me. "You look really good. I told you you would."

    She then tells me I freak out too much. Guilty as charged.

    A belt ties it all together. My dog is giving me that smile. She must be thirsty.

    I go to bed early but not before setting every alarm in the house in staggered times so that I don't sleep in like I have the last few months.

    Today I had my interview, and I feel pretty confident that I killed at it.

    Everyone was laughing at my jokes, and giving eye contact, and seemed genuinely interested. Out of hundreds of applicants I was one of only a few they asked to come in.

    Cross yer fingers. I want to be writing Employed Files sooner than later.

    And if you're in the same situation, for the love of god: Don't Freak Out.

    Pre-cursor audioblog I did yesterday Listen!

    3 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Reminds me quite a bit of my pre-interview jitters before I interviewed for my current position. Nice work.

    Unknown said...

    I'm so manic already from coffee and rushing about in cabs and having a huge amount of pressure to perform a huge task at work in 20 minutes that reading this almost made my heart explode! I am crossing my fingers xx

    Randy said...

    Sounds good!